Seeing as my meals for the week have been food prepped by my amazing sister (thank you Dayna!) I won’t be cooking anything this week so I’ll do a vegan meal post next week. In the meantime I thought I’d do you all another easy sweet treat. Here is how to make an Almond Butter Sponge Cake. Enjoy!
Ingredients for Sponge
(3 cups) self raising flour
(1 1/2) tsp baking powder
(1 cup) caster sugar
(½ cup) – sunflower oil
(1 ¾ cups) – almond milk
(3 tbsp) golden syrup
(2 tsp) vanilla essence
Ingredients for butter icing
(¼ cup) margarine
(1 cup) icing sugar
(1 tsp) vanilla essence
(1 tsp) food colouring
+ (to put on top of the icing) ground almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (Gas mark 4)
2. First, make the butter icing by beating margarine and icing sugar until you reach a creamy consistency. Add the vanilla essence and continue beating. Finally, add colouring (of your choice) and mix in a figure 8 motion until you the colour has spread throughout all of the icing.
3. Once the butter icing is complete, put to the side to rest.
4. Next, grease and line your cake tin; use greaseproof paper.
5. Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar into a bowl and mix together.
6. Whisk the almond milk, golden syrup and vanilla essence (the liquid contents) into a jug.
7. Whisk the sunflower oil into the jug; with the other liquid contents.
8. Pour the mixture from the jug into the bowl with the dry ingredients and whisk until the combined mixture reach a thick and creamy consistency.
9. Pour (or spoon) the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 40 (or 45 minutes) until the cake has risen and is clean. Check that the cake is clean by inserting a knife or toothpick.
10. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes.
11. Spread the butter icing mixture on top of the cake and then sprinkle the ground almonds on. Now leave until the cake is completely cooled.
And that is it! Beautiful fluffy Almond Butter Sponge Cake. Simple and easy to make.
If you would rather make cupcakes then at step 9 you should only bake for 25 minutes.
NB. If you do not want to use the butter icing then please start at step 4 and finish at step 10; but instead of leaving to cool for 15 minutes, leave until fully cooled.
Thank you for reading!